- 1 Birth & Death
- 2 A Rare Personality in the Service of the Community
- 3 Community Services
- 4 Achievements & Awards
- 5 Photo Albums (courtesy Mustafa Pirmohamed)
- 6 Obituary & Tributes
Birth & Death
Birth Date: In the Year 1939
Death Date: April 20, 2023 (28th Mahe Ramadhan 1444 A.H)
A Rare Personality in the Service of the Community
The following article was written by Alhaj Dr Hasnain Walji, former President of The World Federation. This tribute to Late Mulla Asgharali M M Jaffer and Late Haji Gulamalibhai Bhanji (Bapu), and reflection of Aunalibhai Saleh Mohamned was translated into Gujarati and his message was included in the monthly publications of Ahmedabad Allahumalabbak and the Bhavnagar Bage Firdos.
The KSI community that had been separated by the vastness of the Indian Ocean, for almost a century, one institution and three men were primarily responsible for the rediscovery of the Khojas by each other. The two other men have passed away and he alone lives to tell the tale. Who is this rare personality in the service of the Community?
I feel blessed to put pen to paper, a few words about a colleague - though he is also an elder, about a friend -though he is also a mentor and above all a fellow humanitarian -though his contributions to humanity are much greater.
This person, born in Zanzibar, showed an early promise of community service, serving as a young volunteer at the Hujjatul Islam Jamaat moving on to being an officer of the Ithnaasheri Gymkhana, and a troop leader in the Zanzibar Boy Scouts. Moving to Dar-es-slaam, as a young man, he broadened the scope of his active services in the field of Islamic Education through the Husseini Society and Madressa in various leadership positions for almost a decade. His life path included a brief but formative time in the life of the Dubai Jamaat where he became one of the earliest Committee Members of the Jamaat that had just been formed.
This man is a rare personality in the KSI Community who decided to go back to his roots – from East Africa to settle in India and serve the Community in Kutch and Kathiawar. It almost seems that this path was decided by some unknown powers. His move to India, as our history was unfolding, became a critical factor in our development. The KSI Community that had been separated by the vastness of the Indian Ocean, for almost a century, began to find each other. To that end, one institution and three men were primarily responsible for this rediscovery of the Khoja by each other. The two other men have passed away and he alone lives, not only to tell the tale but is passionately pursuing to preserve the legacy of those great sacrifices by these towering personalities, who were instrumental in rejoining the Khojas in Africa with the Khojas in the Sub Continent.
The sea of service which the three men plunged into was full of unknowns and through his persistence and efforts, much work was done to fight poverty, ignorance and disease. Over 20 years have gone by since his clarion call to address the issue of poverty in Gujarat at the London Conference which became a game-changer. Today the results of this heart-rendering appeal, followed by his personal efforts, endure through the hundreds of houses for the poor, scores of schools and thousands of children being educated, not just in Kutch and Kathiawad, but also in Bihar, Karnataka Andhra Pradesh and Maharashtra. Sadly these projects that he helped bring to fruition are sometimes obscured by the shortsighted perceptions of those who joined the service bandwagon much later. They who have little idea how far we have come as a Community since those days. The young in the Community, who are, (or will be) at the helm of the Community institutions, will do well to take some time to talk to him first hand to better serve the Community.
For over 30 years, I truly feel blessed to have known this man, observed his zeal to look after the poor and needy in India, and have travelled with him and know that he has a fund of experience and intricate personal knowledge of our past projects in India which could prove useful for our future work India. Those of us who have worked closely with him know him for his untiring passion for the welfare of the Khoja Community and above all for the genuine concern over the well being of the poor and the needy. However, very few of us know at what personal financial and emotional cost he has borne, as he silently championed many a cause for the poor, often at the additional expense of his personal friendships, relationships and goodwill.
Yes! The two great men were Late Mulla Asgharali M M Jaffer and Late Haji Gulamalibhai Bhanji (Bapu) and of course the organization is The World Federation. The outstanding human being that I have penned this reflection for, is none other than ‘Shere Kutch’, Aunalibhai Saleh Mohamned, holder of many accolades from many institutions including the recipient of the Late Mulla Asghar Ali M. M. Jaffer Memorial Award by the World Federation during the 25the Anniversary celebrations.
As they say in Gujarati "ગણા છે ઉપકાર, ગણા છે ઉપકાર, આભાર બાકી છે" . But as mere mortals, we can only say "thank you" and continue to be appreciative of the past workers of The World Federation which has made The World Federation what it is today. It is only for Almighty Allah (SWT) to bless Aunalibhai with ample rewards for the selfless services in facilitating the WF to serve the poor, the homeless, widows and orphans. I pray for his good health and long life so that he continues to benefit us with his experience as well inspire us with his passion for public service.
- Hasnain Walji (Updated 4 December 2013)
1976 Started working in Kutch and Surat in various welfare projects 1980 Activities in Gujarat 1987 Assisting in the establishment of the Husaini Education in Bhavnagar 1987 Joined World Federation to assist in ZCSS 1989 Working in Karnataka and Bihar for poor and needy in those regions.
(1) In Zanzibar: Troop leader of Ithna Asheri Boys Scout Treasurer of Ithna Asheri Gymkhana.
(2) In Dar es Salaam: Secretary and President of Huseini society from 1966 to 1974 Captain of volunteers of Jamat for eight years Secretary of ladies section of Ithna Asheri Union for two terms Secretary for nursery school.
(3) Mahfil-e-Murtaza 1974 to 1979. Role: Captain of voluneteers and incharge of Hussaini Madrasa.
(3) In Dubai: Elected committee member in Dubai
(4) For WF:Liason Office of the WF from 1987 to 2003 Liason officer of ZCSS from 1987 to 2010.
Achievements & Awards
Kindly note that the following titles were given to Alhaj Aunalibhai Saleh mohammad by some of our Jamats and some by Shia Ithna Ashari jamats & trusts.
(1) 'BAPA' given by KSI Jamat - Surat on 21-9-1984 on the occasion of opening of Roza of H Abbas a.s.
(2) ''SHER-E-KUTCH' given by then Vice President of World Federation Alhaj Manzoorbhai Kanani on 19-12-1993 on the occasion of opening of Tauhid Hostel at Bhuj Kutch.
(3) 'SHER-E-GUJARAT' by the KSI Jamat Bhavnagar on 10-11-1996 - Certificate given by Marhum Mulla Saheb.
(4) 'NAZIM-E-MILLAT' given on 17-11-1996 by the Muhammadi Religious and Charitable Trust - Ahmedabad Juhapura KSI Jamat on the opening of Mehfil e Zehra.
(5) 'KHADIM-E-MILLAT' in June 2005 by the Imamia Education and Welfare Trust Bangalore
(6) 'BABA-E-QAUM' (Leader of the Community) given on 4-12-2006 by the Ahlulbait Educational and Technical Society Baragaon Ghousi dist - Mau (UP) on the occasion of opening of the Zainabiya School (Baragaon Ghosi).
(7) 'FAKHR-E-MILLAT' given on 5-10-2008 by the Jafferi Youth Federation Meta and Mulla Asghar Jaafri English School (Meta).
- Federation Samachar of Africa Federation has published this news in their issue of June 2009 on page 34.
Traditional Appreciation: Shawls, Garlands, Imam Zamin and Paghdi
Murabbi Aunalibhai Saleh Mohammadbhai has been awarded more than one thousand shawls, garlands and Imam Zamins throughout his exemplary community serivces - a rare feat in the history of the Khojas of India. In addition to these customary appreciations, he has also been awarded 20 paghdis for his life time achievments in Kutch and Kathiawad.
(1) Certificate of Appreciation Shia Ithna Ashery Jamat Dar es Salaam - June 1974
(2) Citation of Honour Huseini Society Dar Es Salaam - October 1974
(3) Letter of Felicitation with Mementoes given by the Khoja Shia Ithnashery Jamats of Bhuj, Kera, Mundra, Nagalpur, Mandvi and Bharapar at a function arranged by all Kutch Jamats at Bhuj Imambada on 29-4-1986
(4) Letter of Appreciation was received from Murrabi Alhaj Roshanali Bhai H D Nasser then Managing Trustee of Khoja Shia Ithna Ashery Masjid and Imambada Trust on 14-10-1989
(5) Letter of Felicitation given by the Surat Khoja Shia Ithna Ashery Jamat by the hands of Mulla Asgharali M M Jaffer Saheb at surat on 19-1-1994
(6) Letters of Appreciation was received from Alhaj Habibbhai Mulji then President of Africa Federation on 13-1-1995
(7) Letter of Appreciation received from Alhaj Ahmedbhai Bhaloo then President of NASIMCO in March 1995
(8) Mementoes given by the Imamia Education and Welfare Trust Bangalore by the hands of Mulla Asgharali M. M. Jaffer Saheb at Bangalore on 23 -11 -1996
(9) Certificate of Appreciation for Zaynabia Child Sponsorship Scheme given by the President of the World Federation of KSIMC U.K in March 1997
(10) Citation and Mementoes given by the Secretariat of the World Federation of KSIMC U. K in The World Federation Conference held in London On 17-10-1997 Presented by the President Of The W.F. Alhaj Mulla Asgharali M.M Jaffer Saheb
(11) Letter of Appreciation was received from Alhaj Mohamedbhai Dhirani then President of Africa Federation in February 1999
(12) Citation of Honour with Mementoes was given by The Council of Gujarat Khoja Shia Ithna Ashery Jamats on 23-1-2000 At Talaja by the hands of Ruhul Millat Mulla Asgharali M.M. Jaffer Saheb
(13) Citation of Honour with Mementoes was given by The Federation of the Kutch Khoja Shia Ithna Ashery Jamats and Kera Khoja Shia Ithna Ashery Jamat at Kera Kutch on 26-1-2000 in the presence of Reheber e Millat Mulla Asgharali M.M. Jaffer Saheb
(14) Late Mulla Asgharali M.M. Jaffer Memorial Award presented by the World Federation of KSIMC during the 25th Anniversary celebration in September 2002 by then President of World Federation Alhaj Hasnainbhai Walji
(15) Letter of Appreciation received from Dr. Sibtainbhai A. Panjawani then Hon. Secretary of the World Federation in September 2003
(16) Letter of Appreciation received from Alhaj Mohamedbhai Visram then Chairman of Zaynabia Child Sponcership Scheme in September 2003
(17) Alhaj Hasnainbhai Walji as Retiring President of World Federation has appreciated and praised for my services given in India on behalf of World Federation in October 2003 (WF Conference in Dubai)
(18) Citations of Honour was given by the Shia Ithna Ashery Jamat - Meta on 8-5-2004 on the occasion of opening of Mulla Asgharali Jaffer English School by the World Federation then President Alhaj Ahmedbhai Hassam and also celebration of 50 Years of Meta Jamat
(19) Letter of Felicitation given by The Imame Zamana Mission Hyderabad in June 2005
(20) Honoured by The Husseini Madressa of Shia Ithnashery Jamat Dar es Salaam with Memento during their 50 years’ celebration at Dar es Salaam Imambada as Past President in 2006
(21) Letters and Emails of Appreciation were received from Alhaj Muhsinbhai Dharamsi First Chairman of ZCSS & Letter of Gratitude was received from Alhaj Mohamedbhai Alibhai (Chairman ZCSS) on 11-9-2006
(22) Alhaj Hasnainbhai Walji as Ex. President of WF has praised all services given in India by Aunalibhai as Executive Concillor of WF in India in his speech on role of the Ex. Councillor of WF in October 2006 in Dubai WF Meeting
(23) Email of Appreciation were received from Alhaj Sajjadbhai Tejani Asst. Sec. ZCSS (Head of ZCSS) Section Oct.2006 to Oct.2009
(24) Citation of Honour was presented by The Khoja Shia Ithnashery Jamat - Bhuj at Bhuj On 7-1-2007 to Saleh Mohamed Family
(25) Letter of Felicitation with Memento was given by Alhaj Anverbhai J. Dhanji on 2-1-2008 on the inauguration of Husaini Halland Imambada at Vijpadi Town Gujarat by Alhaj Anwerbhai Dhanji
(26) Honoured by Memento by The Al Mahdi Foundation Trust and Huseini Education and Welfare Society Trust Bhavnagar on 17-7-2008 on the Occasion of the opening of the second floor of The Nursery School By Aunali Y Salehmohamed
(27) Citation of Honour with Memento was given by The Al Mahdi Foundation Trust and Husaini Education and Welfare Society Trust Bhavnagar on 6-8-2008 on the occasion of the opening of the third floor Of The Nursery School By Aunali Y Salehmohamed
(28) Certificate of Appreciation was given by The Central Health Board of the Africa Federation in 2010
(29) The Present President of WF Alhaj Dr. Asgharali Bhai Moledina has praised my services and He Address me as Sher-e-Gujarat in public function held at Bhavnagar Mosque On 10-11-2011
(30) Letter of Appreciation was received from Alhaj Gulambhai Sajjan when he was President of NASIMCO
(31) Marhum Mulla Asgharali M.M. Jaffer and Alhaj Hasnainbhai Walji have send Letters and Emails of Appreciation and Thanks when they were President of World Federation
(32) Oustanding service to the WF, May 2017 by Dr Asgharali Moledina
(33) Husayni Madrsah - Dar es Salaam Appreciation for the service rendered 1971-1974
Certificate of Excellence
Photo Albums (courtesy Mustafa Pirmohamed)
Dar Husseini Society Photos
Obituary & Tributes
Africa Federation Secretariat
The Africa Federation Secretariat is deeply saddened to receive the news of the demise of Alhaj Aunali Yusufali Salehmohamed, which occurred in Ahmedabad on Thursday 20th April 2023 (28th Mahe Ramadhan 1444 A.H.) and he was buried the same night in Bag-e-Sukun Kabrastan.
Born in Zanzibar in 1939, he undertook his primary and secondary education there. He started his social services at a very young age as a volunteer of Hujjatul Islam Jamaat (Nai Misid). He was involved in community sports activities and served as a treasurer of Ithna Asheri Gymkhana and was also a Troop Leader of Ithna Asheri Boy Scouts in Zanzibar. He was a cricket enthusiast and was an official scorer of the Zanzibar Ithna-Asheri Cricket Team for many years. He was always in the forefront and vocal to protest whenever he realized a player was unjustly victimized on the cricket ground, he was a great supporter of the Community Cricket Team in Zanzibar.
He moved to Dar es Salaam in 1966, same year he joined the Husseini Society (KSI Jamaat Madressah) as a teacher and later as the Secretary and as Chairman of Husseini Society from 1970 to 1974. He was also the Captain of the Husaini Volunteer Corps of Dar es Salaam Jamaat for 6 years; Secretary of Union Nursery School and Liaison Officer of the Ladies Section. He migrated to Dubai in 1974 and during his short stay there, at the time the Shia Ithna Asheri Jamaat in Deira, Dubai was formed and he was elected as a Committee Member where he also served as volunteer in the Jamaat.
Aunali bhai spent four years in Karachi, Pakistan and served as Captain of the Volunteers of Mehfil-e-Murtaza and was in charge of Hussaini Madressa. In 1980, he migrated to India and settled in Surat, Gujarat where he was involved in Tabligh work, and served in many community activities, mainly helping the needy and old people.
He was a regular visitor to Kutch where he carried out several projects as well as took part in numerous social and welfare works. He was instrumental along with other members in uniting all Kutch Jamaats to form the Kutch Federation in 1988. His love and affection in extending social services for the poor people in the region earned him the title of Shere Kutch.
Aunali bhai, worked closely with the World Federation Secretariat in many projects throughout Gujarat, in the fields of housing for the needy families and in the education sector. As a liaison officer of the World Federation from 1988 - 2003 and under the leadership of the then World Federation President Late Mulla Asghar Ali M.M. Jaffer as his representative in India, he espoused the cause of Housing, Education, Medical and other welfare activities in many parts of India and by his tireless efforts have brought about much needed results of community advancement and progress. The works he did for the development of Masjids, Imambarghas and religious activities in different parts of India will always remain in the memory of the community he served.
Among his multi-faceted efforts, notably is the educational field for which he did a commendable work through the Zainabiya Child Sponsorship Scheme (ZCSS) of World Federation whose Liaison Officer he was from 1987 to 2010. Aunali Bhai was always available to accompany leaders and officials from the World Federation, Africa Federation, other organizations and donors from different parts of the world on the inspection of their projects in India which included visiting to some remote villages in India.
As an Executive Councilor of the World Federation, many organizations sought his guidance. He volunteered to monitor projects in India by the World Federation, NASIMCO, Africa Federation and generous donors, which is not an easy task to carry out in remote parts of India. Aunali bhai was always at service for the Africa Federation Central Health Board (CHB) during its initial years of establishing contacts in India for patients from Africa. His guidance and services to our patients was invaluable.
He was honored jointly by all the six Jamaats of Kutch in 1986 and again by Kutch Federation in January 2000 in presence of Marhum Mulla Saheb at Kera. He was also honored by the Council of Gujarat in January 2000. He was honored by the World Federation in 2002 and was awarded The Late Mulla Asghar Ali M.M. Jaffer Memorial Award for the services to Gujarat and Kutch at the time of the earthquake of 2001. In 2006, the Husseini Madressah of KSI Jamaat of Dar es Salaam honored him a Memento during their 50 years celebrations. Central Health Board (CHB) of Africa Federation has also given him Certificate in 2010 for his cooperation and services to the patients in Ahmedabad. In the last few years, due to advance age, Aunali Bhai retired from active engagements, however he kept himself well-informed on the community affairs, especially the Africa Federation and the World Federation developments.
Message from the Vice Chairman of AFED, Alhaj Aunali Khalfan:
“A loss of a dear friend and a caring social worker” – Alhaj Aunali Salehmohamed - We became close friends since we migrated from Zanzibar to Dar es Salaam in the later part of 1960s. Aunali bhai loved this community and left no stone unturned in defending it whenever a need arose, he was diligent and unwavering in matters of principles, he would not hesitate to speak out; his fluency in Gujarati and Kutchi languages made positive impact on his audiences and students alike.
The last time I met him in person was in January 2023 at his residence in Ahmedabad, he was full of hope and faith in Allah (s.w.t.). He spoke encouraging words for this life, and the hereafter. He remembered many of his visits in India with the past Presidents of the World Federation, Africa Federation, other Institutions, and friends that he had accompanied them and the projects he was involved with in India. He was thankful to Allah (s.w.t.) for the opportunities he got to serve for His pleasure.
Marhum Aunali bhai was always forthcoming and willing to assist the community in whatever way possible. One thing I admired him for was his adeptness in keeping abreast of the various activities, developments and the current news of the community globally, and more particularly so of the Africa Federation and the World Federation.
He would not miss a single issue of the Federation Samachar, I always took a copy for him on my visits to India. Recently he mentioned to me that he wanted to visit Dar es Salaam for Muharram this year, alas! on Thursday, the 28th of Mahe Ramadhan 1444 A.H., he was recalled by his Lord for a permanent abode. Marhum was a beacon of hope for many, his zeal and drive towards the alleviation of poverty in several parts of Gujarat will be cherished for many years to come.
Sad as it is to lose a friend and a dedicated community worker - Insha’allah his legacy will live on. On behalf of Africa Federation office bearers, I extend our heartfelt condolences to his family and friends. With Duas to Allah’s (s.w.t.) for His grace and mercy for the Marhum – Al Fatiha” We convey our sympathies and heartfelt condolences to his wife Rubab bai children Shabnam bai Dhalla, Fatima bai Virani and Sadiq bhai Salehmohamed, the grandchildren and all members of the family.
- We pray to Allah (SWT) to grant Marhum maghferat and place his soul amongst the blessed ones in the vicinity of Chaharada Masumeen (A.S.), and who continuously receive mercy and grace of Allah (S.W.T.).
- We request for a Surah-Al-Fatiha for Marhum Aunali Salehmohamed and all the Marhumeen.
ARCHIVE SECTION OF AFRICA FEDERATION
CIRCULAR NO: JMT/056/23
Date: April 24, 2023